About Barton Hills Country Club:
Barton Hills Country Club is a premier private family golf club located in Ann Arbor, Mi. It is a classical Donald Ross design golf facility and the club is celebrating its centennial in 2019. Barton Hills enjoys a robust golf and social membership and is the center of many of its members’ life activities. The golf course has long been recognized as one of the finest conditioned courses in the state and region with an emphasis placed on fine details and elevated course conditioning.
A major golf course improvement project was completed in the fall of 2017 where the greens were reconstructed and transitioned to Pure Distinction bentgrass; the approaches were transitioned to Pure Distinction bentgrass , the green surrounds were re-sodded to turf type tall fescue, and approximately 70 bunker faces were re-sodded to turf type tall fescue.
The course management staff is currently working to fulfill a comprehensive master plan that has several components left outstanding such as a tree management plan, fairway expansions and constriction, and fescue area establishment.
This is an ideal situation for the right individual to learn adept golf course management techniques in a fast paced and fun environment.
Position Reporting Structure:
The Assistant Golf Course Superintendent reports to and is under the direction from the Head Grounds Superintendent and will work in conjunction with other key staff members such as the Equipment Manager and the Staff Horticulturalist to ensure the department is consistently working towards to goals and standards of Barton Hills Country Club. The assistant superintendent may serve in the Head Superintendent's capacity during his/her absence.
The assistant superintendent directs and participates in the maintenance of the entire golf course playing areas, cart paths, hardscape structures, ornamental beds, and clubhouse grounds; supervises the maintenance and repair of motorized and other mechanical equipment; contributes to the training and development of staff members, ensures that quality standards are met, and does related work as required.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the planning and overseeing of all maintenance practices in the care of the entire golf course playing areas, hardscape structures, ornamental plantings, and clubhouse grounds
- Ensures that quality standards are met as described in the adopted Daily Course Standards manual
- Instructs equipment operators on the operation and care of mowing and other equipment
- Aids in equipment malfunction diagnosis and repair in conjunction with the Equipment Manager
- Supervises pesticide applications and/or operates and calibrates pesticide application equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the operation and maintenance of pumps, and in the maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems
- Assists in personnel management and evaluation, employee safety, and personnel discipline
- May modify the daily work schedule based on professional interpretation
The Assistant Golf Course Superintendent will have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Must possess a minimum of a two year certificate or equivalent experience in turfgrass management, horticulture, landscaping, or related field
- Working knowledge of the maintenance and correct care of golf course tees, fairways, greens and roughs; seeding and maintenance practices for golf course turf; planting, cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs and trees
- Have a good base of knowledge of the characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners; herbicides and pest control methods and materials; drainage control methods; and irrigation systems, including wells, pumps and automatic controls
- Obtain and hold a current pesticide applications license as required by federal, state, and local governing authorities
- Ability to schedule and supervise maintenance work to achieve the most efficient utilization of workers and equipment; prepare clear and concise reports; and maintain effective employee and public relations.
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Must have a positive attitude at all times
- Must adopt a “willing to whatever it takes” mentality to assist in the overall success and operation of the grounds department and Barton Hills Country Club
The physical parameters of the position may be as follows:
- Must be able to work in a bent over or stooped position regularly.
- Must have the ability to perform duties in tight and restrictive areas around and in machinery.
- Must have the ability to be able to lift and control objects of 80 pounds or higher rarely; 40 lbs or higher occasionally; and 20 lbs or lower consistently.
- Ability to move heavy objects.
Grounds Technicians / Equipment Operators; Horticulturalist Assistant; Assistant Equipment Technician; on site vendors / contractors
Health and Dental Benefits
National and local superintendent association dues paid
Continuing education paid